For some time now Drs Misra and Sharma have been in negotiation with the Partners at Blackfriars Medical Practice around a potential merger. Mergers between practices are becoming more commonplace now in Primary Care. This is to ensure that practices remain viable businesses in the long term. A merger will also assist with planning for succession of Drs Misra and Sharma in the future.
Aside from the fact that the two surgeries are very close geographically (0.8 mile), Blackfriars Medical Practice and Borough Medical Centre have a long history of working together and indeed have intermittently shared services and staff over the last 20 years. A merger between the 3 surgeries would be beneficial to patients and staff alike. In order for this to proceed a business case will be presented to Southwark CCG’s next Primary Care Commissioning Committee in May. The practices will also be liaising with Southwark Healthwatch, as the experts on patient engagement to ensure that patient views are taken into account.
The current plan is to run the Borough Medical Centre as a branch of Blackfriars Medical Practice.
We have sought the views of each surgery's Patient Participation Group (PPG) and the response has been overwhelmingly positive.
Borough Medical Centre
Located at 1-5 Newington Causeway, London, SE1 8EE – just off Blackfriars Road
0.8 miles from Blackfriars Medical Practice
2 Doctors, 1 Nurse
Combined List size 5,000 patients
Benefits of Merger
· Provide continuity of care for patients of Borough Medical Centre as Drs Misra and Sharma would be joining Blackfriars
· Increase / improve access to appointments; especially nursing appointments
· Access to a wider range of services such as Osteopathy, Specialist contraceptive services, Health Care Assistant, Advanced Nurse Practitioner
· Access to female doctors for patients of Borough Medical Centre
· Long term sustainability for all three practices
· Provide continuity for staff of Borough Medical Centre
· Access to appointments at both sites
· Online via website
· Forms available at reception / pharmacy